Residence permit


If you would like to stay in the Netherlands for a period of more than three months, you are obliged to apply for a residence permit if you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country. (For EU/EEA citizens, this is optional.)

You will have to present a number of documents and ask for an English application form (at the City Hall or the Immigration Office). You have to pay a fee, and if everything is in order you will receive a residence permit some weeks or months later which proves that you are residing legally in the Netherlands.

Within three days after your arrival in the Netherlands, you need to apply for your residence permit or EU residence card. You will receive a sticker in your passport to prove that you applied.


When you apply for a residence permit, you have to pay a handling fee (administration fee).

If you need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands the costs are €300 for the residence permit 
The immigration office (IND) charges €300 for the application of the MVV alone. (In addition to the MVV you will also need the residence permit.)

Applying for a MVV is a difficult and long-term process. If you want to be succesful, it is adviseable to apply through Inholland university. Inholland University will charge you on behalf of the IND €300 for the MVV and €300 for the residence permit. Please check all the details.

For EU/EEA nationals, the fee for a residence permit is €41. Paying the fee does not automatically mean that your application will be granted! The fee must be paid even if your application is turned down.

Inholland University of Applied Sciences has made special arrangements with the City Council. The International Offices can assist students of Inholland who have arrived in the Netherlands with the application procedure and make an appointment with the City Council.

The Dutch government and Dutch universities and institutions of higher education have instigated a Code of Conduct. For more information please visit

Documents required when applying for a Residence Permit (verblijfsvergunning)

  • an MVV, if applicable a valid passport 
  • two passport photos 
  • statement of Inholland University of Applied Sciences that you are registered as a student or an exchange student 
  • proof that you are adequately covered by health insurance 
  • a declaration that you have a law-abiding past (to be signed at the Aliens Police office) 
  • proof that you had a tuberculosis-check in the Netherlands (not applicable if you have the Israeli nationality, the Surinam nationality or a nationality listed in group I or group II) 
  • proof that you can support yourself financially

If you are a student with your own money: please take a bank statement with you with your name on it from a Dutch bank or an internationally known bank which shows that there is enough money (in 2011 at least 800 Euro per month) in your account to cover your expenses during your stay in the Netherlands.
If someone else is sponsoring you (e.g. your parents), please take a written statement with you from your sponsor which states the amount and the duration of the sponsorship, plus proof that your sponsor is in possession of the money himself.

Registration as inhabitant (GBA-inschrijving)

Also, you will need to register yourself as a new inhabitant of the town you live in. Normally, the application for a residence permit and the registry as an inhabitant (inschrijving in de Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie) will happen at the same time, possibly at a different counter. The civil servant who registers you as an inhabitant will ask to see two extra documents:

  • a certified copy of a birth certificate indicating your name, date of birth and place of birth. For most countries, this should be legalized, for some even verified. 
  • a copy of the rental agreement of your accommodation.

Maximum stay for study in the Netherlands

Please be aware that, in case you are from a non-EU country, your maximum stay for study in the Netherlands is limited to 6 years.