English language requirements

In many cases, you must be able to provide recent evidence that your spoken and written command of the English language is adequate for the programme for which you have applied.

English language qualifications we accept:

IELTS certificates (academic level) will be accepted with an overall score of 6.0 or higher for writing, reading, listening and speaking. Go to IELTS.org for more information on the test and test locations. Please note: At this time, the online IELTS test is not included in the Code of conduct for international students. Therefore, we cannot accept the online IELTS test as proof of the proficiency in English.

TOEFL certificates (a TOEFL iBt 80 - Internet Based Test) will be accepted with a minimum overall score of 80 on reading, writing, listening and speaking. Go to ETS.org for more information on the test and test locations. You can temporarily take the TOEFL exam online. Find out whether this is a possibility in your country and go to the website for more information.

Cambridge certificates will be accepted with a Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) or Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE) with a minimum score C (169-172). Go to cambridge.org for more information on the test and test locations.

Havo/vwo - pass for English


You are exempted from proving proficiency in English if you:

  • are a native speaker and have completed secondary education in one of the following countries: UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand;
  • have obtained a South African National Senior Certificate with a minimum score of 5 for English;
  • have an European Baccalaureate with English as the medium of instruction and a minimum score of 6 for English; 
  • have an International Baccalaureate with English as the medium of instruction and a minimum score of 4 for English; 
  • have a GCE or GCSE with an A, B or C for English, examined by British examining boards such as Edexcel, Cambridge or OCR; 
  • already have a diploma validation from Inholland University of Applied Sciences which confirms that your prior education meets our language standards.

To keep in mind

Your certificate must be less than two years old on 1 September. An exemption is made if you have successfully completed education in the English language in the past two years.

Want to study in Dutch?

If you are going to study a Dutch-language bachelor degree with us, you must be able to demonstrate that you passed all four components of the State Exam Nt2 before the starting date of the programme you enrolled to. If it is not possible for you to participate in this exam due to the corona measures, you can contact the Bureau of Admission Test to discuss possible options.


We are here to help

+31 (0)6 - 2111 5555
+31 (0)23 - 522 32 75