Personal situations

Frequently asked questions

Can I study at Inholland if I have a disability or personal circumstances affecting my education?

Absolutely! At Inholland, we are committed to providing equal opportunities for all students, including those with disabilities or personal circumstances impacting their education. Our dedicated student counsellors are here to assist you if personal circumstances are preventing you from giving your education the attention it needs.  Whether you're dealing with a disability, illness, family matters, or any other challenges, they are happy to discuss how our university can support you. Together we come up with realistic goals to make your life as a student easier and help you succeed in your studies. If you would like to discuss your personal situation before enrolling as a student at Inholland, please reach out to the student counsellor at your prospective study location. They are happy to help you!

Location Contact information
Den Haag


What's considered a disability?

All physical, sensory and psychological conditions that are usually permanent in nature and often result in a study delay. This includes non-visible conditions such as dyslexia, RSI, chronic fatigue, psychological problems and chronic illnesses.

What facilities are offered to help students with a disability?

Students with a disability can apply for certain facilities and modifications in consultation with and on the advice of a student counsellor. This is laid down in the Inholland Teaching and Examination Regulations (OER). Here are a few examples of the facilities and modifications that Inholland University of Applied Sciences can offer you:

• extra time for a test;
• adapted examination material (e.g. enlarged font or allowing the use of a laptop during an examination);
• modifications in education (e.g. spread-out classes, adapted teaching aids);
• physical facilities in the buildings (e.g. accessibility of the school building and the presence of a resting room);
• assistance in applying for a performance-related grant from the Education Executive Agency (DUO) in the event of study delay.

I need specific facilities because of my disability. What are my options?

If you require specific facilities due to your disability, you can discuss your wishes, the possibilities for individual facilities and possible financing options for these facilities with the student counsellor. Particularly where specific facilities are concerned, it is very important that you contact the student counsellor at an early stage – preferably before the start of the academic year – so that we have plenty of time to take the appropriate measures.

How do I apply for facilities and modifications for my disability?

You are entitled to certain facilities and modifications if you can prove to the student counsellor that you actually have a disability, by submitting a statement from your general practitioner, attending physician or psychologist/psychiatrist. If you have dyslexia, this can be a statement from an approved body. If possible, be sure to provide a medical certificate or a diagnostic report during your first appointment with the student counsellor.

My disability has led to a study delay. Is it possible to receive financial support?

When you incur a study delay, funding your studies may become a problem. Students who are entitled to student finance and whose studies are delayed due to a physical, sensory or psychological condition are entitled to additional financial support. You will need a statement from your attending physician or psychologist as well as the student counsellor.

We offer several options for financial support. You will always need to apply to the student counselling service for these.

I compete in a sport as an elite athlete. How to combine this with my studies at Inholland?

The special elite athlete policy of Inholland University of Applied Sciences makes it possible to combine a career as an elite athlete with a higher professional education programme. To be eligible for these facilities, students must have elite athlete status or be a recognised elite athlete.
Each Inholland location has a student counsellor whom you can contact for more information about studying in combination with practising sports as an elite athlete.

You can find more information in the Education Guide.