Finding a student job in The Netherlands

A part-time job isn't just about covering expenses; it provides real-life experience, enriches your cultural awareness, and can improve your language skills. Do you want to work while studying in the Netherlands? We're here to help!

Part-time jobs for international students

If you want - or need - a part-time job, there are many options to choose from. You can become a Student Buddy at Inholland and offer valuable support to your fellow students. Alternatively, you can get paid to promote your degree programme, assist at Inholland events, and participate in student panels. Lastly, you can choose to get a job outside of Inholland, such as working as a barista. Whatever you decide, try to balance it with your education, so it doesn't overwhelm you.

Become a Student Buddy

Become a Student Buddy at Inholland

3-4 hours per week

If you like helping and motivating your fellow students, working part-time as a student buddy at the Student Success Centre (SSC) could be perfect for you. As a student buddy, you provide a listening ear, share your experiences and tips, and support fellow students in their academic journey. While you may not have all the answers, you guide them to the right resources for success!

To qualify for a job as a student buddy, you need to meet the following requirements:

  • You are enrolled in the second year or above of your studies and want to gain experience as a coach/counsellor;
  • You are committed to your studies, actively involved in Inholland, a role model to fellow students and able to motivate them;
  • You can reflect on your actions and adjust your actions accordingly;
  • You can work purposefully, independently and proactively, are approachable and have good organisational skills;
  • You have a flexible and service-minded attitude;
  • You are aware of and attentive to cultural differences;
  • You can support/coach fellow students in planning, studying and decision-making;
  • You can encourage and motivate fellow students, to give them feedback, to confront them and to set requirements;
  • You are available for an average of three to four hours a week. 

If you are keen to help fellow students as a student buddy, please send a short cover letter and CV to the Student Success Centre at your location.




The Hague 



Join the Inholland Promo team

Join the Inholland Promo team

At Inholland, we offer well-paying part-time student jobs that are both rewarding and flexible. You can join our promo team, help inform prospective students about our study programmes, work on exciting campaigns, or become a part of our student panels, where your feedback is highly valued. These opportunities let you contribute to the Inholland community while earning a good income.

Would you like to work for Inholland at times when it is convenient for you? Check the website of the internal employment agency of Inholland ASA Campus (only available in Dutch), drop by their office at one of our campuses or send them an email via

Other part-time jobs

Get a part-time job outside of Inholland

In the Netherlands, students can explore a diverse range of job opportunities, including roles in retail, waitstaff and bartending, administrative and office support, delivery and courier services, customer service, and call centre positions.

The easiest way to secure a student job like this is through employment agencies. For your convenience, we've compiled a list of helpful websites:

FAQ part-time jobs for international students 

Do I need Dutch health insurance when I have a part-time job / paid internship?

Yes, if you have a part-time job or a paid internship in the Netherlands, you are obliged to take out Dutch basic Healthcare insurance. Remember, the European Health Insurance Card doesn't cover part-time jobs or paid internships here.

What is healthcare benefit and are international students eligible to receive it?

Healthcare benefit is financial support provided by the Dutch government to assist residents, including international students, in covering part of their Dutch health insurance costs. The amount of healthcare benefit you get depends on a number of things, including your income.
Learn more on the official government website.

How many hours per week am I allowed to work?

The number of hours you are allowed to work depends on your nationality. Here's what you need to know.

For students from the EU/EEA or Switzerland:
If you're from the EU/EEA, you have the same labour rights as Dutch students. You can work without restrictions, meaning there's no maximum limit on the number of hours you can work.

For students outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland:
If you're not from the EU/EEA or Switzerland and wish to work while studying in the Netherlands, there are some rules that apply. Most importantly, your employer must provide you with a work permit, and they are required to apply for it at least five weeks before the start of your job via the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). You can’t apply for a work permit yourself, but you can ask your employer for a copy.

With a work permit, you can choose one of the following options:

  • Alongside your studies, you may work up to 16 hours per week.
  • You may work full-time during the summer months of June, July, and August.

Remember, you cannot choose both options; it's one or the other!

Do I need to pay income tax?

If you receive income from a job in the Netherlands, you must pay income tax. If you receive a scholarship, this might be considered taxable income as well.

Income tax is automatically deducted from your salary every month to cover various government services, including social security.

Additionally, you need to file your taxes once a year, it might be possible to get some of these taxes refunded. More detailed information can be found on the website of the Dutch Tax Administration.

What is social security?

Social security in the Netherlands is a comprehensive system of social insurance that provides financial protection for people in all stages of their lives, regardless of their employment status. It is funded by automatic deductions from employee salaries and employer contributions. Your employer is legally obligated to deduct these contributions from your pay before you receive it. This money goes towards funding programmes such as disability benefits and unemployment support. Essentially, it provides financial protection for people in case of a variety of life events, including work-related accidents, job loss, retirement, and disability.


We're here to help

+31 (0)6 - 2111 5555
+31 (0)23 - 522 32 75