Full-time international student

Frequently asked questions

What do I need to arrange before arrival?

There are various practical matters you have to think about before beginning your degree programme at Inholland University Of Applied Sciences.

Step 1: Complete your application/enrolment and pay the tuition fees
Step 2: Check the cost of living and arrange accommodation
Step 3: If you are a citizen of a non-EU country, you need to complete the immigration procedure for a residence permit
Step 4: If necessary, take out insurances and look into healthcare
Step 5: Schedule an appointment for registration at the City Hall*
* International students who will be studying at Inholland Amsterdam/Diemen do not have to schedule an appointment at the City Hall. You will receive an email from the International Office Amsterdam/Diemen with a day and time slot.
Step 6: If necessary, request a Dutch bank account

General checklist

These websites will provide insight into what to arrange, when and information about living in The Netherlands:

How to complete my application/enrolment?

On our website, you will find more information. If you have questions regarding your application/enrolment please contact the Central Student Administration (CSA/Admissions).

What are the tuition fees and what are the payment methods?

The tuition fee depends per situation. If you have a bank account with an IBAN number in a SEPA country, the payment of your tuition fees can be arranged via Studielink. If you are not from a SEPA country, you need to pay by bank transfer in one go. Please find more information about paying for your education here.

Does Inholland take care of student accommodation?

Information is available on our accommodation webpage.

Other useful websites:

  • Study in NL: finding a place to live.
  • A guide for student housing in the Netherlands

What are the living expenses like when studying in the Netherlands?

If you want to make a rough estimation of living expenses, please check Numbeo and select your city.

How to apply for a residence permit?

Non-EU students are required to have a residence permit to study in the Netherlands. The student administration will assist you with the documentation for your application. You will receive more information from the Central Student Administration once you have been accepted. You can find more information and contact details of the Central Student Administration here

Where to pick up my residence permit?

You will receive a pick-up letter from the Central Student Administration. Your residence permit will be ready for pick-up at an IND location. In your pick-up letter you will find the location of the IND. Students under the age of 18 are allowed to collect their residence permit without the presence of a parent or legal representative. If you did not receive a pick-up letter, please contact admissions@inholland.nl.

When am I required to have a Dutch health insurance and how to take one out?

At the moment you start a (part-time) job you are obliged to take out a Dutch health insurance. This also applies to an internship for which you are paid at least as much as the Dutch minimum wage. In the flyers of the Zorgverzekeringslijn, you will find all the information you need about how to take out Dutch health insurance and when you are required to have Dutch health insurance for study or work (internship) in the Netherlands. The Youth Information Point (JIP) is another helpful website that explains health insurance in the Netherlands. 

More general information is available on the website of the Zorgverzekerlingslijn. In case you need advice or tips how to solve health insurance issues you can contact the Zorgverzekeringslijn.

Do I need to take out a liability insurance?

If you damage one's property or cause an accident the Dutch law states that you are responsible to pay those costs. Therefore, we advise you to take out a liability insurance policy. Read more about a liability insurance online.

How to schedule an appointment at the city hall?

According to the Dutch law all new residents need to register if they will reside in the Netherlands longer than four months. Registration regulations may vary from one council to another. Therefore, we advise you to check the website of the City Hall that you will be living in and schedule an appointment in advance*.

Needed at the appointment:

All students:

  • A valid form of identification (this may not be a driving license) 
  • A proof of occupancy:  An original and a copy of a filled (and undersigned) tenancy agreement or rental contract (provided by the landlord) (only in case you are sub renting) the original and a copy of a filled in (and undersigned) declaration by the main occupant.

NON-EU students:

  • Dutch residence permit and/or the entry visa sticker in your passport (if you needed one to enter the Netherlands).*
  • Copy of Dutch residence permit and/or the entry visa sticker in your passport.

*International students who will be studying at Inholland Amsterdam/Diemen do not have to schedule an appointment at the City Hall. You will receive an email from the International Office Amsterdam/Diemen with a day and time slot.

BSN-number/Citizen service number

Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN) by post. You need this number when you open a bank account or take out health insurance.

How to open a Dutch bank account?

The first step is to make an appointment just before or immediately after arrival. You can do this at physical bank branches or via an online bank. 

Physical bank branches

  • ING
  • Rabobank (unfortunately, it does not have any English website. To set up an account with Rabobank you should visit one of their main city branches in person)

Online banks

General requirements for opening a Dutch bank account:

  1. Minimum age of 18 years*.
  2. A valid identification document (passport/ID card).
  3. Proof of your Dutch address**. For example a rental contract.
  4. Your citizen service number (BSN). You will get the BSN number upon registration at the City Hall.
  5. Proof of enrolment – You can easily download your proof of enrolment in the SelfService-tool. More information about how to download your proof of enrolment is available on Iris. 
  6. Residence permit if you come from outside of the EU. If your residence permit is not yet available, request a copy of your official IND residence permit approval letter by sending an email to admissions@inholland.nl

* It is unfortunately not possible to open a bank account at most banks when you are a minor or  if your parents/legal guardians are not with you. It is only possible to open a bank account as a minor if your parents/legal guardians are present in person during the application. If your parents/legal guardians cannot be present in person you can check the online banks Bunq or N26 for the possibilities of opening a bank account.

**If you do not have a BSN number or Dutch address yet, you can check the online banks Bunq or N26 for the possibilities of opening a bank account.

What kind of practical matters should I take into consideration?

Before planning your travel to the Netherlands, you should take the following into consideration:

  • The dates of your introduction
  • Your rental contract dates and key collection arrangements
  • Dates of your scheduled appointments such as; the city hall, the bank or biometric data.

How to use public transport in the Netherlands?

Note: Face mask regulations can be found on the government website.

You cannot travel for free in the Netherlands as an international student. In order to use public transportation, you will need to acquire an OV-chipkaart. You can put money on your OV-chipcard at special docks at train- and metro stations. Find more information below:

  • NS: Dutch railways
  • 9292: travel planner that allows you to plan all your journeys. You can download the app

Do not forget to check in and check out
It is very important that you do not forget to check both in and out when using your OV-chipkaart. This can be done by holding the OV-card against the card reader on platforms for trains and the metro. When using a bus or a tram you can check in and out on board the vehicle. Find more information on how to travel with an OV-chipkaart.

Student discount on travel product
Are you planning to use public transport regularly or on a daily basis? Then you might want to get a student travel product. The student travel product is part of student finance. This means that you can only apply for the student travel product if you apply for student finance. If you do not want to take out a loan, you can indicate this during your application. Whether you are entitled to the student travel product depends on your nationality or place of residence, your age and your education. You can find more information about the requirements for international students on the website of DUO.

The NS
The NS offers subscriptions which let you pick the discount that suits you best. More information about the different train discounts is available on NS.nl.

Another option is the International Student Identity Card (ISIC). ISIC created the ISIC mobility card; a custom-made public transport OV-chipkaart for international students. It is important to know that you cannot add extra discounts on top of the 15%. If you, for example, travel with someone who owns an OV-card and therefore is entitled to share a 40% discount, this discount cannot unfortunately be shared with you. More information about the ISIC card is available on their website.

Get a bicycle
The best way to travel in and around your city is the way the Dutch do; on a bicycle. It is usually faster and cheaper than public transport. You can get to places where no cars, buses or trams are allowed. Here you will find 5 ways to find a bicycle in the Netherlands. Never buy a bike from a stranger on the street. The bike could be stolen and you do not want to risk being arrested.

Can I travel to the Netherlands?

For all information about travelling to the Netherlands and the restrictions surrounding the Corona virus, go to the site of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.