Exchange student

Frequently asked questions

I'm a student at a partner university and I want to take part in the exchange programme, what should I do?

You can participate in an exchange if there is an official exchange agreement between your home university and Inholland University of Applied Sciences. Please inquire at your own university (the international office or international coordinator) if there is an exchange agreement with Inholland University of Applied Sciences. If there is an exchange agreement, you must be nominated by your home university to study at Inholland University of Applied Sciences. Once we have received your nomination from our partner university, we will send you the link to the online application form via email.

Deadlines Fall semester
Nomination deadline for partners: 15 April.
Application deadline for nominated students*: 1 May

Deadlines Spring semester
Nomination deadline for partners: 15 October
Application deadline for nominated students*: 1 November

If your university does not have an exchange agreement with Inholland University of Applied Sciences please inquire your own international office about what other universities your university has agreements with.

*students who are nominated receive an email with application instructions. All students must complete their application before the application deadline.

Which measures apply to me if I travel to the Netherlands?

On our website you will find the latest updates for the academic year. During your stay in the Netherlands you must follow the rules that have been imposed to prevent the spread of COVID-19. These rules apply to everyone in the Netherlands.

Other useful websites:

Holders of a residence permit

When does Inholland offer exchange programmes?

Exchange periods take place in the Fall semester or in the Spring semester. Check with the exchange coordinator of your home university about your options. They can provide you with more detailed information.

When am I eligible for an exchange programme?

You can take part in the exchange programme if there is an inter-institutional agreement between the home university and Inholland University of Applied Sciences. You can check with your own university if this is the case.

Can I select and combine components of other courses?

No, this is not possible. Inholland works with fixed packages. The course catalogue is available here.

How long does the admission procedure take?

The admission procedure can take several weeks. The International Office is depending on the approval from the International Coordinators. We aim to inform you about your admissibility in four weeks.

What happens in case I fail my exam?

You can take a resit of your exam. If you do not pass your resit, you do not obtain ECTS-credits. You will still be able to receive your certificate of attendance and your transcript of records. On your transcript of records you will see the list of courses you passed and failed.

What kind of preparations are needed before my arrival?

There are various practical matters you have to think about before beginning your exchange semester at Inholland University Of Applied Sciences.

Step 1: Once nominated by your university, you have to complete your application. You will receive the application instructions from the International Office of your Inholland location.
Step 2: Check the cost of living and arrange accommodation
Step 3: If you are a citizen of a non-EU country, you need to complete the immigration procedure for a residence permit. You will receive more information about the residence permit application from the Central Student Administration (
Step 4: If necessary, take out insurances and look into healthcare
Step 5: Schedule an appointment for registration at the City Hall*.
Step 6: If necessary, request a Dutch bank account
Step 7: Sign up for the pick-up days.  You will receive information about this from the International Office.
* Exchange students who will be studying at Inholland Amsterdam/Diemen do not have to schedule an appointment at the City Hall. You will receive an email from the International Office Amsterdam/Diemen with a day and time slot.

General checklist
These websites which will provide insight into what to arrange, when and information about living in The Netherlands:

Study in NL


Youth Information Point (JIP)

Youth Information Point Youtube channel


Does Inholland take care of student accommodation?

More information is available on our accommodation webpage.

Other useful websites:

  • Study in NL: finding a place to live.
  • guide for student housing in the Netherlands.
  • Housing Hotline:  The Housing Hotline provides a place for international students to ask questions regarding housing and voice their complaints.

What are the living expenses like when studying in the Netherlands?

If you want to make a rough estimation of living expenses, please check Numbeo and select your city.

How to apply for a residence permit?

NON-EU students are required to have a residence permit to study in the Netherlands. The Central Studentadministration (CSA) will assist you with your application and send you more information once you have been accepted. You can find more information and the contact details of the CSA here

When am I required to have a Dutch health insurance and how to take one out?

At the moment you start with a (part-time) job you are obliged to take out a Dutch health insurance. This also applies to an internship for which you are paid at least as much as the Dutch minimum wage. In the flyers of the Zorgverzekeringslijn you will find all the information you need about how to take out a Dutch health insurance and when you are required to have a Dutch health insurance for study or work (internship) in the Netherlands. The Youth Information Point (JIP) is another useful website that explains health insurances in the Netherlands. 

More general information is available on the website of the Zorgverzekerlingslijn. In case you need advice or tips how to solve health insurance issues you can contact the Zorgverzekeringslijn.

Do I need to take out a liability insurance?

If you damage someone’s property or cause an accident, then Dutch law states that you are responsible for to cover the costs. Therefore, we advise you to take out a liability insurance policy. Read more about a liability insurance online.

How to schedule an appointment at City Hall?

According to the Dutch law all new residents need to register if they will reside in the Netherlands longer than four months. Registration regulations may vary from one council to another. Therefore, we advise you to check the website of the City Hall that you will be living in and schedule an appointment in advance*.

Needed at the appointment:

All students:

  • A valid form of identification (this may not be a driving license) 
  • A proof of occupancy:  An original and a copy of a filled (and undersigned) tenancy agreement or rental contract (provided by the landlord) (only in case you are sub renting) the original and a copy of a filled in (and undersigned) declaration by the main occupant.

NON-EU students:

  • Dutch residence permit and/or the entry visa sticker in your passport (if you needed one to enter the Netherlands).*
  • Copy of Dutch residence permit and/or the entry visa sticker in your passport.

*International students who will be studying at Inholland Amsterdam/Diemen do not have to schedule an appointment at the City Hall. You will receive an email from the International Office Amsterdam/Diemen with a day and time slot.

BSN-number/Citizen service number

Your registration will usually be processed in the BRP within 4 weeks. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with an overview of your registered information and your citizen service number (BSN) by post. You need this number when you open a bank account or take out health insurance.

How to open a Dutch bank account?

The first step is to make an appointment just before or immediately after arrival. You can do this at a physical branch office or an online bank.

Physical bank branches

  • ING
  • Rabobank (unfortunately, it does not have any English website. To set up an account with Rabobank you should visit one of their main city branches in person)

Online banks

General requirements for opening a Dutch bank account:

  1. You must be at least 18 years* old.
  2. A valid identification document (passport/ID card).
  3. Proof of your Dutch address**. For example a rental contract.
  4. Your citizen service number (BSN). You will get the BSN number upon registration at the City Hall.
  5. Proof of enrolment – You can easily download your proof of enrolment in the SelfService. More information about how to download your proof of enrolment is available on Iris
  6. Residence permit if you come from outside of the EU. If your residence permit is not yet available, request a copy of your official IND residence permit approval letter by sending an email to

* It is unfortunately not possible to open a bank account at most banks when you are a minor and your parents/legal guardians are not with you. It is only possible to open a bank account as a minor if your parents/legal guardians are present in person during the application. If your parents/legal guardians cannot be present in person you can check the online banks Bunq or N26 for the possibilities of opening a bank account.

**If you do not have a BSN number or Dutch address yet, you can check the online banks Bunq or N26 for the possibilities of opening a bank account.

Where can I find information about the orientation days?

The International Office will inform you about the (online) orientation day(s), pick-up service and how to sign up for it.

What kind of practical matters should I take into consideration?

Before planning your travel to the Netherlands, you should take the following into consideration:

  • Coronavirus measures and quarantine rules.
  • The dates of your introduction
  • Your rental contract dates and key collection arrangements
  • Dates of your scheduled appointments such as; the city hall, the bank or biometric data.

How to use public transport in the Netherlands?

Note: Face mask regulations can be found on the government website.

You cannot travel for free in the Netherlands as an international student. In order to use public transportation, you will need to acquire an OV-chipkaart. You can put money on your OV-chipcard at special docks located at train- and metro stations. Find more information below:

  • NS: Dutch railways
  • 9292: travel planner that allows you to plan all your journeys. You can download the app

Do not forget to check in and check out
It is very important that you do not forget to check in and out when using your OV-chipkaart. This can be done by holding the OV-chipcard against the card reader on platforms for trains and the metro. When using a bus or a tram you can check in and out on board the vehicle. Find more information on how to travel with an OV-chipkaart.

Student discount on travel products
Are you planning to use public transport regularly or on a daily basis? A discount depends on when and where you go. You can check if you are entitled to use the student travel product.  The student travel product is part of student finance. This means that you can only apply for the student travel product if you apply for student finance. If you do not want to take out a loan, you can indicate this during your application. Whether you are entitled to the student travel product depends on your nationality or place of residence, your age and your education. You can find more information about the requirements for international students on the website of DUO.

The NS
The NS offers subscriptions which let you pick the discount that suits you best. More information about the different train discounts is available on

One option is the International Student Identity Card (ISIC). ISIC created the ISIC mobility card; a custom-made public transport OV-chipkaart for international students. It is important to know that you cannot add extra discounts on top of the 15%. If you for example travel with someone who owns an OV-chipcard and therefore is entitled to share a 40% discount, this discount cannot, unfortunately, be shared with you. More information about the ISIC card is available on their website.

Get a bicycle
The best way to travel in and around your city is the way the Dutch do; on a bicycle. It is usually faster and cheaper than public transport. You can get to places where no cars, buses or trams are allowed. Here you will find 5 ways to find a bicycle in the Netherlands. Never buy a bike from a stranger on the street. The bike could be stolen and you do not want to risk being arrested.